Expertise AI’s course and assets are increasing on a world scale
AI has the potential to drive one of many best social, financial and scientific transformations in historical past, and we have to make sure the know-how advantages as many individuals as attainable.
One vital manner to do that is thru entry to AI schooling to develop the following wave of thinkers, researchers, and AI leaders. It’s equally vital to make sure that these new generations are numerous, bringing completely different views which can be important for creating AI options that meet society’s wants.
Nevertheless, not each younger individual at the moment has entry to AI schooling and assets.
At the moment, Google DeepMind and the Raspberry Pi Basis are increasing entry to the Expertise AI program.
This complete introductory course is designed for educators to show 11-14 yr outdated college students foundational AI information via accountable and interactive lesson supplies, actions, and video tutorials. The supplies, created with academic consultants, align with confirmed studying and growth practices. Now, we’re broadening the attain of the Expertise AI program on a world scale, aiming to empower extra college students for an AI-enabled world.
Increasing entry to satisfy the demand for AI schooling
Since launching final yr, Expertise AI has reached over 200,000 college students worldwide with requests for translated supplies from educators in international locations together with Canada, Kenya and Romania.
Initially centered on the UK and inspiring entry particularly from college students from low socioeconomic backgrounds, this system’s demand has impressed a £1m funding to broaden this system’s attain, equipping extra college students for an AI-enabled world. This funding will assist us work with regional supply companions to tailor and translate the Expertise AI Classes, and to allow the coaching of 1000’s of lecturers to ship them of their school rooms.
Google DeepMind and the Raspberry Pi Basis are assembling a world group of organizations at the vanguard of the motion for AI literacy to ship coaching for native educators to show the Classes to their college students. The primary part of the growth is underway, with letters of intent signed with:
- Asociatia Techsoup (Romania) equips native non-profit organizations, colleges, libraries, and charities with fashionable technological assets and coaching to drive social change.
- Digital Second (Canada) is devoted to empowering younger change makers with very important digital expertise like coding, knowledge literacy, and AI via dynamic academic experiences aimed toward social good. They advocate for moral innovation and inclusive studying, offering numerous youth with the instruments and alternatives to form a brighter future.
- TechKidz Africa (Kenya) nurtures the following era of tech innovators with tailor-made know-how packages in robotics, coding, and digital design.
Advancing our dedication to growing range in AI
By increasing Expertise AI globally, we additionally goal to additional domesticate a extra numerous group of scientists, engineers, and AI leaders to responsibly develop and deploy AI applied sciences. Growing illustration in AI permits for numerous values to form its design and use.
This dedication to inclusivity additionally extends to our different initiatives and collaborations, together with:
- Scholarships and Fellowships: We give funding to universities to assist the supply of scholarships to underrepresented college students pursuing graduate research in AI and associated fields. This contains offering monetary support, mentorship from Google DeepMind researchers and engineers, and entry to AI conferences and occasions to construct a group of numerous AI college students and researchers. Our fellowships provide early-career researchers from underrepresented teams in AI-related fields postdoctoral funding and mentorships. Alongside monetary assist, we offer alternatives for fellows to be mentored by senior Google DeepMind researchers.
- AIMS AI for Science Masters: In September 2023, we supported a brand new ‘AI for Science’ pan-African Masters program via our collaboration with the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) South Africa, a one-year residential program designed to construct AI expertise for scientists.
- Deep Studying Indaba: We have supported this annual gathering, which unites over 800 members of Africa’s AI group for per week of schooling, analysis, and dialogue on the newest AI developments, with Google DeepMind researchers voluntarily co-founding the occasion.
Making certain everybody has a voice
For AI to really profit everybody, it should be influenced by everybody. This range is vital for guaranteeing AI applied sciences are aligned with the wants of all, and for realizing AI’s potential to turn out to be one of the vital applied sciences ever invented.
As we try to create AI that advantages humanity, we are going to proceed to put schooling on the core of our mission, inviting educators, college students, fanatics, and everybody in between, to affix us.